Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Heartbreak

Graham's 7th grade Defenders team lost a heartbreaker to the 6th grade Defenders team last night. The teams are competitive no doubt. My gut says the 7th graders let their guards down a bit and the 6th graders went in with nothing to lose. The game was tough throughout and with a few seconds left we had the ball and a chance to go ahead as we were down by 2. Graham had the ball and this is where the double heartbreak happened. He traveled. He started moving down the court too quickly and lost sight of what he was supposed to do. I could see the look of devastation on his face. The win was sealed for Defenders 6.

Graham did a great job congratulating the other team. He was so deflated, angry, disappointed and sad after the game. I did the best I could to support him, let him feel the guilt and anger and also encourage him, remind him to accept the responsibility, that loss is tough and his one had the added slight embarrassment and to also remember the game was a team sport of a full game. Not 2 seconds or an individual game. Everyone could have improved somewhere. I know it didn't help much and that Mitch and his brothers are giving him a bit of hard time. He knows in his hear that while he had a role in the loss, it was not him alone just as his best game is not the only reason the team might win.

Pep talk over until the next time. Darn I love this kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment