Monday, February 18, 2019

Moments

Settle in for sentimental, capture all the details, mom in this one...

In the midst of hustle and sports and school and work and arguing siblings and mom wanting things done, there are multiple moments that make me smile, melt my heart and think life is pretty darn good.

Tonight all three boys were home at the same time and we had almost 30 minutes at the dinner table. Seriously that alone made me happy. We did all miss Andy - each boy asked separately if he was going to join us for dinner. His busy season is in full swing and he worked until well past 9:00 tonight. In part that was from having spent Saturday and Sunday with us in Ames for Graham's state basketball tournament and we're very glad he choose the weekend over tonight.

Dinner was topped by talks of the future family dog, spring break and my birthday. The last two were good but let's focus on the family dog.

The boys excitement has grown exponentially since yesterday's car ride and me actually saying "I'm ready for this to come out of my mouth. I'm ready for us to get a dog." Let's be honest, my excitement is growing too. Fast. Sure, I'm scared of the time, the work, even the money. But I also remember the delight in having a dog, the happiness, the fun, the unconditional love. And I know how much the boys want this. So we're moving forward. Yep, here we are.

Tonight's focus was on names. Discussion. Lists online. Laughing at each other. Ruling out names. We ended up with a list of 11 on the white board. Max took charge which added to the fun. He wrote them down and then had us each vote for our four favorites. Color coded and all as can be seen in the photo. Much to my delight, Rolo is approved as a possibility. I'll let Max take his credit for coming up with it months ago. We go right along with Cleo, Athena is getting some attention. Max suggested we give Andy, Gamma and Gump two votes each so they could be involved. Love this kid. Once we have their votes, we'll narrow to four. He's keeping the white board under lock and key. Comparable to the Declaration of Independence he said. I'll take it.

What will we name Miss Spanish Water Dog?
Graham so badly wanted to mess up the white board. He was picking on Max and me for not wanting to erase the names that didn't have a single vote from one of the four of us. He said Max was trying to make it too perfect. Pierce jumped in with Graham and I simply smiled knowing everyone was playing the exact role I would expect.

Max decided he was the Dog name commissioner. Fees of $50 to get to vote, $75 for each vote and a $25 change fee. He's keeping the white board in his room so no one can change it. He and I had a great conversation over dinner clean-up about the responsibility and happiness of a dog. He said he's all in for caring, thinks Pierce won't do as much as he should and that Graham will be somewhere in the middle. Right on. Max is showing me in all kinds of ways just how he feels about this dog coming into our family and I am grateful that at 15 he wants one as much if not more than everyone else.

Now to get Andy and my parents to vote so we can narrow down these dog names!

I can't not mention Pierce and my short conversation tonight while on the computer together. "It would be so fun to have a dog beside us right now. Petting her. She's going to love our family."

Pierce added to my night as we snuggled at bedtime. He told me he's afraid he's not going to know how to do his taxes and will some day be homeless. What? He said he feels like he won't know how to buy a house or do his taxes or the important things. I assured him he'll learn. He asked how I knew and I told him mom and dad, reading, college, and the bank helped me learn and that he'd have the same help. I wanted to just pull him and tell him to never worry about anything like this even though I know it's a natural thing (and maybe that he hears a lot about taxes right now!) He went on to tell me "maybe I'll just always live in your house." I told him I'll have to make sure to have a big house but that I think he can live on his own. "Maybe I can live in the Nueske." Perhaps you can Pierce. And this led to "Do you think Andy and you will ever get married?" Pause.....

"I care a lot about Andy. I don't know if we will or if Andy wants to get married again or if I do. We're happy together. I know that."

"I hope you do."

"I love him a lot and I know he cares a lot for all of us."

"We care about him, too." Silence for a bit. "I love you, mom."

P.S. Back to my birthday and spring break. The boys are so hoping Andy and the boys go with us. Since we don't know all the details yet, I haven't changed my verbiage from "I hope it works" to "yep, we're going to make it happen." Excited to tell them! And as for my birthday, I love that this morning when Pierce and I were talking about it he was so excited that he said he needed to text his brothers and Andy. More moments to warm my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment