I had to miss my usual Thursday morning in Max's class yesterday because I had to work. Not what I like to do but it is what it is. I love the time I spend in Max's class. Since the last week of September, I've been in the classroom every Thursday working in small groups on math skills - counting, telling time, counting money - through games and written activities. When the students go to "specials" which include music and P.E. I sometimes stay to help with classroom prep. Other times, I take something with me to work on in the following days. I really look forward to the time as I simply enjoy it, Mrs. Martin appreciates the volunteer time, I get to know Max's classmates and Max loves having me a part of the class. On Wednesday night I realized I was really going to miss this wek so I asked Mrs. Martin if I could come in today. She was happy to have me so I spent almost two hours with the class today playing Snap It Up. Today, was another satisfying experience. Seeing a child grasp a concept or learn a little more or watching your own child while another student reads is sipple but it gets me at the core.
I don't volunteer regularly in Graham's classroom but I do when asked or sometimes I stay a bit in the morning or come early so Graham can share his latest triumphs with me. This year, we usually talk about the planets or do the letter box work or work on counting beads. I see him grow each time I'm there for even a few minutes.
Today, I am thankful for the chance to volunteer in Max's class and to see Graham at work in his room.
Just decided, this will be Day #7 of my countdown to Thanksgiving.
No comments:
Post a Comment