Monday, November 30, 2020

Hug

 Max walks through the office door 2 minutes ago. "I came to give you a hug. I think we could both use one." Tears well in my eyes and it is one of the best hugs ever. 

"You're a great kid."

"Some of the time."

"For every time I want to kick you out the door, I'd take you a billion times over."

He laughs. Smiles big. And walks away.

It's been a tough 24 hours - him in trouble for not having a mask on with Ashlyn, trying to figure out a schedule for going to Mitch's this week and/or next week, and simply the stress COVID is adding to life. We're both feeling it. Some of the stress and anger is at each other and some is more general at the situations of COVID and Mitch moving. Earlier this morning Max told me that life is rough right now, that nothing is going how he wants it. He's unhappy. I told him I wish something was simplier. He told me he'd take one thing. I don't think the tough will quickly go away, but it will eventually. And we'll make it. A few tears, one (I'll take more) hug, anger, grace and patience all present along the way. 

This kid also knows how to love and have empathy and I am thankful when he reminds me.

No comments:

Post a Comment