Each year, I ask the boys to pick between a couple of shirts for the their school photos. I suggest the bottom as well but I don't really care what they wear on the bottom because it's not in the photo. Yes, it means they don't match even on picture day.
Let me back up a minute - I stopped asking them to match, suggesting what they where, saying anything about their clothing choices on 95% of the days they walk out of the house a long time ago. I realized it wasn't important to them and really wasn't to me. I wanted them to be independent and dress how they choose. Remember, Graham wears knee socks (prints, Badgers, Hawkeyes) most days to school and I smile. Sure, I wish they wanted to match every day or when they do match that it wasn't Adidas, Under Armour or other athletic brand/connection, but it is what it is. And when it really matters - weddings, dinner, photos - to me, they cooperate.
Back to story.
Anyway, I've always laid out the choices and we discuss the night before. This morning well, Max insisted on the need to wear a dry-fit shirt because "last year all my friends just wore athletic, sports or dry-fit shirts." Fine, it's his picture and his personality. As for Graham, he packed his black and gray polo because "I want to look good in my photo but I need to be ready to play outside." He has his reasoning for what he wears.
The photos will be great because they will be of my sons. No matter what they are wearing.
No comments:
Post a Comment