This afternoon I stopped by a Kool-aid stand run by a couple of young boys I didn't know. I stopped because they were smiling, waving their hands and working hard. I bought a $0.25 glass but said they could keep the money and I didn't need the drink. One of the boys had a HUGE smile and said "THANK YOU!"
My smile after the purchase and his reaction may have been bigger than his.
I was reminded of how impactful a simple gesture can be to a young child. I've now suggested in all my social media outlets and to my neighbors - If you pass a stand this summer, consider spending the $0.25 or $0.50, even if you don't want the drink. Everyone will feel good.
I think I'll keep quarters in the van this summer and stop at every one I see. And the next time my kids ask this year (it's been slightly cold when the requests have come in), I'll be ready with the Kool-aid and my quarters.
No comments:
Post a Comment