I've walked through the process a dozen times.
Yesterday afternoon, I put a gold coin in the kitchen cupboard near the dishwasher in preparation for the tooth fairy's visit. I noticed another gold coin also in the cupboard. Okay.
Graham put his tooth in his Super Hero pillow.
11:00ish p.m. I take one gold coin from the cabinet. The other is still there. I go in Graham's room and with one quiet movement, I take out the tooth and insert the coin. I put the tooth in a baggie with the information about how he lost it, when, which tooth and put the baggie with the other teeth for the memories.
This morning I get out of the shower and find Graham in tears holding his pillow. "The tooth fairy took my tooth but didn't leave anything."
"What?" I want to scream. "That's not possible. She did leave something. A gold coin." All those words I must hold back as I console him and say it must have been an accident. Perhaps she dropped whatever she was leaving. We'll write a note. It will be okay. He is so sad.
I retrace my steps. I tell Mitch what I did. I'm so confused. He asked "did you mean to go back with the coin." I would not risk two trips into the room and digging into the pillow. Absolutely not. There is still only one gold coin in the cupboard. I know what I did. Perhaps the coin is in the register. Nope. Not under the bed. Pierce hasn't played with it. What happened????
I will likely never know.
So tonight, there is a beautifully written note, two gold coins and a Lego luggage tag by his bed. He'll be excited and move on and I'll continue to wonder what happened.....
No comments:
Post a Comment