Friday, March 1, 2013

706 Gould Street, Gladbrook, Iowa



Tonight when I was on Facebook for less than five minutes, I saw a photo that impacted me quickly and unexpectedly. Mary Gayle Stowe posted the photo above of the front porch of her house in Gladbrook, Iowa. Yes, lots of snow and much of it unexpected. What caught my eye though, was the yellow house in the background. The house I lived in from the summer of 1977 until August 1985. A house filled with memories, laughter, family, and love. I think so often of that house which I haven't been in it since shortly after we moved or by it, I'm guessing, in fifteen years. Wow. I've thought so many times that I want to take all four boys to Gladbrook and share that part of my childhood with them. I felt it even more as I ran downstairs to show them the photo, talk about Stowes and share this piece of my childhood with them. As I was talking to them and telling about how old I was when we lived in that house, I realized I was each of their ages in it. I suddenly better saw myself at their ages. Below is the note I wrote to Mary Gayle.

You have no idea how my heart smiled and how quickly a little tear came to my eyes when I saw this photo tonight. Your non-intended inclusion of 706 Gould hit me in a way I didn't expect. I haven't seen that house in YEARS. I went to the boys and Mitch right away to show them and share stories. This is one of the wonderful things about Facebook. I have no doubt that when Mary Loupee sees this, she'll feel the same. Thank you for snapping and sharing this photo!


Update: After finishing this, I kept thinking about growing up in Gladbrook. I don't think about Gladbrook without thinking about all the teachers I loved - Mrs. Buck, Mrs. Ball, Mrs. Fish (two years. No, Janel, I was not held back, she taught 2nd, then 3rd) and Ms. Berger. All wonderful but no doubt, my favorite teacher, Mrs. Fish. I haven't seen her in years after stopping on nearly every visit back to Gladbrook those first few years. I periodically, check in with her son, Dennis on Facebook as we were in school together, or I try other ways to find out how she is or what she's doing. We write at Christmas - although I didn't hear from her this year - but otherwise, haven't been in touch in years. Tonight I found an article in the Northern Sun Print (Gladbrook's newspaper) about her her serving hot dogs to trick-or-treaters each year. I couldn't help but send a note to Denny with the article attached.

After a photo by Mary Gayle Stowe captured my eye tonight (our house was in the background), I've had Gladbrook on my mind. I don't think about those years without thinking of your mom. I found this story and smiled ear to ear thinking how fun this must be for all the kids and her. Definitely started in the late 1980s or I would have been the first in line! Give her my hello and a hug.

No comments:

Post a Comment