Thursday, February 2, 2012

Volunteer payoff

I don't volunteer for any reason other than to help my kids, their teachers and to be active in their schooling. Today though, I felt something more.

Thursday is my day to volunteer at the boys' school. It's also my only day off from work. I wouldn't want to spend my day any other way. Today reminded me of that. Due to the timing of specials (music, library, PE, art), recess and lunch, I spend about 30 minutes in Graham's class working on math games (or anything else Mrs. Jepson needs), go to Max's room for an hour for math groups and then return to Graham's room for another 25 minutes. Today was no different.

The reminders came when -

Max's face lit up and he said "hi" when I got to the room and when he said "thank you" while I was helping him in math groups. Nothing else. It was simple but I felt appreciated and loved. I knew Max was glad to have me in the classroom.

I saw Graham's smile when I came back to his class. He knew I'd be back. He knew he'd already had his turn with me and wouldn't get another. He also knew, I was spending time in his class, with his friends, helping Mrs. Jepson. All things he loves and I love. His smile melted my heart and it was followed by no less than hugs at three different times when I passed him and when I was ready to leave. Ahhh.

I know the boys love that I volunteer and although I don't get these interactions each week, I come back because I love the time with them. I told Mrs. Schroeder just today that I feel guilty when I have to miss a day. I enjoy it and the look or words from the boys when I say I can't come breaks my heart. I considered not coming into the rooms today because of all the waffle breakfast activity (February 11 it will be done!!!!). I've been spending the remainder of my Thursday morning in the office working on the breakfast since the start of the semester and today I could have used the extra time. I though couldn't bring myself to do it. Instead I stayed up late last night so today I'd be with the boys. I'll never get the time back and they'll never get to have me in kindergarten or second grade again. Thank you for the reminders, Max and Graham. XO

No comments:

Post a Comment