Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Where's the thimble

I love it when an activity I'm doing with my boys reminds me of my childhood. This afternoon Max made nine pieces of paper with different colors written on each in the corresponding color and decided to hide them for Graham to find. The hiding turned into a game with me and when Mitch got home from work he joined in the fun. We took turns hiding the pieces of paper in the living room and telling each other "you're cold," "you're getting warmer" and "you're on fire" while looking. Pierce played with his toys and watched us. We laughed and had a great time. I smiled from deep inside as we played and I thought of being Max's age with my parents.

I played countless games of "Where's the Thimble" with my parents and Janel living at 706 Gould Street in Gladbrook (we moved from there the summer after I was ten). We used a plastic yellow thimble with black writing and hid it all over in the living room. We had built in shelving units on both sides of the fire place which provided fantastic hiding places. It was a simple game that we all loved and could play together. I will never forget playing and I doubt the rest of my family will either.

I think the thimble is now in the hutch at my parents. Perhaps it's time my kids see it and learn to play "Where's the Thimble" when we're in Story City for Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment