Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The gentle side

Of my boys does come through and nearly every time it does, it makes me pause, love them more and get teary. Take tonight for example -

Mitch left this morning to be with his dad in Milwaukee while he has some medical tests done. All three boys were awake when he left, very early. Tonight, as I was tucking them into bed, they both started talking about how much they missed dad. Both were nearly in tears. Max asked to call Mitch, so we did. Max and Mitch chatted a bit including saying that they missed each other. Pass the phone to Graham. He can barely talk because he's so sad. He starts crying a bit while talking with Mitch, hands the phone to me and says with tears,

"daddy didn't say he missed me."

I tell Mitch, who feels terrible, and they resume their talk. Graham really can't talk because he is crying. Phone conversation ends. As Graham is doing his final prep for me to leave he's crying pretty significantly and says

"I didn't hug daddy before he left."

Me, "You told him bye this morning."

G, "I know but I didn't give him a hug."

Graham has a very soft spot for his dad. Breaks my heart to see him so sad. The only good to come out of this is that I am reminded another time of how deeply my boys love.

This evening also reminded me why I tell Mitch, when is away from home, not to focus too much on missing the boys in conversation with them. He can say he misses them but only once. Any more than that and I really have tears on my shoulders.

Love my boys....

1 comment:

  1. Aww. This brought tears to my eyes. Ben is also very attached to Chris and is constantly saying, "I love you Dad." So sweet.

    ReplyDelete