Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Vote

Graham's cupcakes for Global Studies
I love so much about politics and government. In part because it reminds me of the fall of 1992 when I was a senior in high school and Bill Clinton (D) ran against incumbent President George H.W. Bush. Our government class followed every aspect of the elections from local to President. We read, learned, predicted, tracked and watched in anticipation. I wasn't 18 yet so my first time voting came later. I can remember the time perfectly including my friend Dean (who now works as the Communications Director for the Iowa House Democrats) and I spreading all our knowledge out on the family room floor at my parents and watching the results ALL. NIGHT. LONG. To top it off, we were over 90% correct in our predictions.

Today, I still love  the process, the conversations, the right to vote, the people who step-up to work hard for people, the anticipation, the debates, watching the race....

There are things I don't love either - the politics, feeling like my one vote may not matter, the bad mouthing, people who are on the other side and a side that sometimes just feels wrong and unbelievable, the money that is spent, the lies.....

The bottom line though? In our country we have a right to vote (all of us living in this country should but that is another political discussion and post). So as I said on Facebook today....

Vote. I realize elections, politics, stances, people, decisions can be complicated. The process, advertising and bad mouthing can take it’s toll and push us away from caring. The decision to go vote though is simple and so important. We have the right and obligation to vote. Please vote. There is still time. (Cupcakes for school by Graham. I ❤️ 💙 that he is interested already).





No comments:

Post a Comment