Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Growing up

Seems that each day I am reminded of the fact that my three boys are growing up. Today's reminder hit harder than some days - made me smile to know we've come to this point and a bit teary knowing we've come to this point.

Max and Graham have rode their bikes to school most days since the start of school on September 18. They have become very good at it and I trust them. I've been with them a couple of times, seen them as I've driven by, heard about the time they hesitated at a corner, how they now stop at the busy corner, and I know that it's one time they really look out for each other. Ian, the neighbor and good friend, joins them most days. Max and he are great about taking turns as to who leads and who goes at the end, always Graham in the middle. He's just waiting for spring when we've told him perhaps he can lead. The bike riding has been new for us, especially letting Graham do this. Max didn't ride his bike with just friends until the last couple of weeks of last year. Things are different with a second child. Max was at the end of first grade and nearly 8. Graham is at the beginning of kindergarten and 5.5. I think about this change nearly every day as I watch them go off a little after 8:00 and I wait for them to arrive home about 3:10. Today, they wanted to walk. I drove them to Front Street (they decided a little late) where I made them sit and discuss with me once again what to do if someone approached them. With nods, and smiles off the three of them went. I felt like it was a big moment for them to do this.I had to go around the block to head in my own direction and smiled as I could see them laughing and talking on their way. They looked up in time to see me, smile and wave. I thought of that moment all day.

And then Pierce. This afternoon before heading to our staff picnic I asked if I could help him change his clothes. "No, I can do it all myself." And then he put on his shorts and shirt. Potty trained and dressing himself all in a month. He's not such a little guy any more. Breaks a little piece of my heart but begins to fill another spot as he grows into a boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment