



We have a perfect little garden tonight. Not perfect because of the size or how things are planted or what we plant or how it looks. Perfect because Graham and I spent nearly three hours of quality time together today preparing our little area for planting all the way through to watering and clean-up. He's been so excited about our garden since turning the soil over a few weeks ago to checking out my parents' garden last week. From the minute we got home, Graham was devoted to the project. He move the tomato plants from near the front door, to the sun, then into the garage because it was "too windy for them" and then swept the front steps. Then he proceed to drag the dirt (thanks to my boot) to the back yard along with all the other necessary gardening items. He planted the tomato plants, the carrots, the beans and the lettuce. He helped put the new soil on, he dug, he watered, he even cleaned up with me. Max came home from school, helped for just a bit then played golf in the backyard and threw the ball to Cleo. He was quite happy especially when asked to be our photographer at the end! Graham, stuck with me. We had a great time and he's SO proud of what we did. Even if we don't have beautiful vegetables to eat or take photos of for a story in a few weeks, I don't care. I'd do it all the same for the conversation, the smiles, the time, the dirty moments, the joy. Perhaps next year, I'll get my cedar boxes but if I don't, I'll be okay with the same experience. In fact, if I get my boxes, I might still plant the corner with Graham.
No comments:
Post a Comment