Wasn't I just saying either here or to myself, how much fun Max and Graham were having together at Montessori or in the backyard? I swear I was but now Max and Graham have reached a point where some time apart could be beneficial for everyone.
At school, I've heard: Max, "Graham doesn't leave me alone. He wants to do everything with me and my friends." Graham, "Max made me cry today because he wouldn't let me play with him." Mrs. Honey and I have talked about Max's need to be with his friends without Graham and Graham's need to learn from his brother. We've both talked with them.
At home, Max, "I want my own space" and "Why does Graham have to do everything I do?" Graham, "Max, let me do it with you."
Neither of them is in the wrong - Max wants space and his own friends, Graham wants to be like his brother.
Tonight - Max to Graham, "I'm going to Bible School with my friends. It's not somewhere you can go." Graham to me when we were in the parking lot of Kohl's after I said "This is fun time for you and me." Graham, "Yeah, I like being with you. Max doesn't get to come."
We go from typical fights between brothers who are almost 6 and 3.5 to fantastic moments together like when I hear Graham asking Max about something he is doing because he wants to learn or I hear Max telling Graham about something he'll do when he's almost 6.
Right now, though, we need to give them a little space. Sharing a room, going to school together and being home in the afternoons and evenings is more than enough time together. Until this summer, they at least had time apart in the morning which was not only time apart but time where they could shine and develop without the other around. They wanted to spend all day together and couldn't wait for summer - Montessori and afternoons at home. Now, together time all day is a bit much! (reread the beginning where I mentioned time apart could be beneficial for everyone!). The fall routine when they spend a few hours apart each day - Max in kindergarten and Graham at Montessori - will be good, I think. I suppose the first few days apart will be fantastic for all and then I'll hear about how much they miss each other! Wait, will I be back to hearing the same thing I was this spring? Life can go full circle in a matter of months when you have little kids.
No comments:
Post a Comment